Monday, February 8, 2010

Healthy Assertive Rights

I recall my mom encouraging me to read the book My Perfect Right as an adolescent girl. I appreciate her encouraging me to implement the following into my life.

I have a right to put myself first, sometimes.
I have a right to make mistakes.
I have a right to be the final judge of my feelings and accept them as legitimate.
I have a right to express my own opinions and beliefs.
I have a right to question what I don't like and to protest unfair treatment.
I have a right to ask for clarification.
I have a right to negotiate for change.
I have a right to ask for help or emotional support.
I have a right to feel and express pain and or uncomfortable feelings.
I have a right to receive recognition for my special qualities and talents and for my work and achievments.
I have a right to say "no" to other people's requests.
I have a right to be alone, even if others request my company.
I have a right not to have to justify myself to others.
I have a right not to take responsibility for someone else's problem.
I have a right not to have to anticiipate the needs and wishes of others.
I have a right to say "I don't know" or "I don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment