Monday, May 12, 2014

Coping to Thriving

Years ago I was asked to give a presentation in Chicago at a conference.  The title they requested was: "Coping with Vision Loss."   As I began my presentation and started to share 'tips' on coping with vision loss, an elderly woman stood up and said - I don't see why we need to just cope - why can't we thrive!  I absolutely loved her enthusiasm and determination.  I told her I totally agree.  My talk shifted to Thriving with Vision Loss.  A simple word change gave it a different energy!  Coping feels like getting by - making it.  Sometimes we are in a place of coping.  I recognized that as she said ... this was about thriving!   Thriving is flourishing, growing vigorously, progressing towards a goal despite or because of circumstances. 

Whenever I hear the word cope, my mind often goes back to that sweet moment where I was reminded to transition to THRIVE!   

-- Becky Andrews, LCMHC, FT

No comments:

Post a Comment