Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The first step to change is to believe.

In the latest movie version of Alice In Wonderland the Mad Hatter tells Alice she has lost her muchness. What does losing your muchness mean? Some may describe it as losing authenticity. In the end of the movie after much searching Alice has an opportunity to reclaim her authentic self. She makes the decision to fight the Jabberwocky (a dragon like monster.) Although the fight seems impossible she recalls something her dad said to her as a child “Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” Alice then begins to list 6 impossible things that had been part of her reality during her adventures in Wonderland. Number 6 was defeating the Jabberwacky, which she successfully does. What we focus on expands. When the brain is focusing on positive thoughts it cannot focus on negative thoughts at the same time. Try making a list of 6 things you believe are impossible then, focus on those things. A few examples may be: I can accept that I am perfectly imperfect today. I can find 30 minutes to do something I enjoy today. I believe I am amazing today. I believe I can defeat my negative thoughts today. The first step to change is to believe. By Melanie Holt, LAPC. To schedule an appointment with Melanie contact her at 801.718.9840

No comments:

Post a Comment