Monica Forsman, LCMHC, specializing in marital counseling at Resilient Solutions, Inc shares the following:
Here are some tips from John Gottman that I implement with couples I see, regarding how to lessen their stress when communicating as a couple, giving opportunities to connect together a little better:
Dr. John Gottman’s “Stress Reducing Conversation for Couples,” from his book:
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work
1. Take turns. Each partner gets to share.
2. Don’t give unsolicited advice. Be a good listener. This isn’t the time to suggest a solution.
3. Show genuine interest. Ask questions. Make eye contact. Nod.
4. Communicate your understanding. Let your spouse know that you empathize for how they feel.
5. Take your spouse’s side. Be supportive, even if you don’t agree with their perspective. This
is emotional support time for how they are feeling.
6. Express a “we” attitude. The two of you are in this together.
7. Express affection. Hold your mate; put your arm on his/her shoulder, say: “I love you.”
8. Validate emotions. Let your partner know that you understand his/her feelings.
To schedule an appointment with Monica you can contact her at: 81.604.5040 or visit our website at: Resilient Solutions, Inc. for more information.